Thursday, March 6, 2014

takin' it easy...

Today I decided to take a day off from doing pinhole stuff and instead dedicated the day to building and repairing birdhouses and feeders.

My yard has been full of Chickadees, Nuthatches, Robins and Bluebirds so figured it would be best to take care of my feathered friends.

First, I built a Bluebird box out of some old scrap I had in the shed.


As you can see, it's nothing fancy and since I've had some practice building pinhole boxes, making a Bluebird box was pretty easy.  This is old rough cut cedar boards, so it has a rustic look and the birds really like it.

The box above is one my husband and I built about 7 years ago and it's the most used and favorite box of all the birdhouses in our yard.

Not only do Western Bluebirds make nests in it, but Mountain Bluebirds have been using it the past 2 years.  We have probably fledged about 35 birds out of this one box!  And to make it even better, a bat uses it to roost in during summer when the birds are finished with it.  I should charge rent!


This bird house is for the Swallows.  Mainly Violet-Green Swallows.  The entry hole is very odd, but we built it to plan and the birds fly in like kamikazees! It's really something to see!

The two boxes above needed some minor repair and some weatherproofing so I tended to that so the birds will have nice baby raising quarters when the time comes..which will be here soon.

Tomorrow I'll probably get back to work on some pinhole boxes and a 35mm conversion I'm working on for a friend so check back in a day or two to get an update....although I may just take the weekend off, it kind of depends on the weather.

At any rate, have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment