Wednesday, June 22, 2016

What a Difference a Week Makes...

If you know or not, New Mexico had a bad ass fire.
It started in the forest about 25 miles from my house and then escalated into a full blown crazy I might have to leave my house and belongings behind situation.
It was so bad, the National Guard had a road block set up 1/2 mile from my front door.
Scary, and stressful are words that don't really convey the true feelings of what people in the area felt.

I can tell you for certain though, last Wednesday was a rough day and we packed up our most precious things and prepared for the worst.

If you wonder about packing precious cargo, it goes like this....

First you make sure that your family is safe. No questions there.
Second, you pack up your important papers and documents.
Third, you pack all your photos and film negatives.
Fourth, and this wisdom is my husbands, you pack up the things that if you lost them, it would make you cry.

That fourth thing alone made me cry just hearing him say it out loud.

So I packed my Dad's slide-rule, my late mom's Polaroid and her Olympus XA (which still works).

The danger has passed now, and luckily we dodged a big bullet on this one.  We never were forced to evacuate, but we were VERY close to the line where a lot of people had to.  It's not fun.  But it does give you a certain clarity of what is truly important.

Have a great summer y"all.  It's going to be a hot one.



Here's a quick snap of the Moon from last week when the sky was filled with smoke.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you're okay. It shouldn't have to take a fire for us to prioritize things in life, but I can relate ... we've lived in the same house for 24 years, if I had to suddenly move, I wouldn't know what to take and what to toss. Have a nice summer.

    ReplyDelete