Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Winter Solstice

I like Winter.
That's something I never thought I would say out loud.
You see, I was raised in Texas, and before moving to the mountains of New Mexico 14 years ago, if the temperature got below 70F, I was looking for a sweater.  Those days are long gone.  I think 70F is hot now, and the mid 30's are downright balmy!

Now I relish the idea of stark cold, snow and sapphire blue skies.  It gets so quiet when it is cold and there is a blanket of snow on the ground that you can hear the Earth's pulse.
Today is the first day of Winter.
Solstice...Sun standing still. Like me.

This solargraph is from a year or two ago, made by putting a small pinhole camera on the side of the house for solstice week.

I'll have another one for this year ready in a few days.  In the mean time, stay warm and enjoy the quiet days of Winter.



Those streaks across the sky were left behind by the Suns path for the week.
This is the view from the south facing outside wall of my house.
The pinhole camera was a re-purposed Altoids mint tin loaded with photo paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment